Pages

Monday, April 20, 2015

Post Graduation

After I graduated in December, I took a job with Jacobs Engineering in the Westchase District of Houston in their land development group as an EIT. I started at the beginning of January and now I have worked here for almost 4 months! Time has really been flying by.

So far I've been working on a very cool residential development in Spring, Texas. It is designed with Low Impact Development methods, which is right up my alley. I really do love that I can guide what I do and learn here at my job. I think it is very important to find a group to work for that has employees of many diverse backgrounds. 

Jacobs is really big on safety, if you haven't already heard. So I've managed to score some safety gear that is pink from my boss. They really want us to wear our Person Protection Equipment (PPE). =) I am very excited for the summer for when the interns arrive and we will be attending sites left and right. I'll post a picture of me decked out in my PPE soon enough!

Transitioning into the "adult" world has been quite interesting for me. It's really nice to be able to shut down my work computer, go home, and not have to stress out about any assignments that I should be doing. I can't remember my weekends being so stress free!

My group at my office is heavily involved with American Society of Military Engineers so I've been volunteering, attending events, and networking through this group. I am an American Society of Civil Engineer's younger member now, however, I have yet to find myself at their monthly meetings. I think it's much easier to attend the same professional societies that my group is involved in.

Apart from work, I have been extremely involved in the dance world! Dance has literally become my life now. I am a part of a dance studio called Naach Houston and my first production will be on May 30th at the Miller Outdoor Theater at 8:30 pm. It's entitled "Karma: the Wheel of Life". We do many styles of dance including contemporary, jazz, and hip-hop but we are primarily a Bollywood dance company.

I am glad that the working world has really opened my life up to enjoying the things that I simply couldn't afford or didn't have the time for before. C'est la vie! Maybe it's more fitting to say Esta la vida but I don't know if that's a real expression! ^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment